Saturday 4 January 2014

Cashmere hat from a jumper

Cashmere.  One of the most sumptuous fabrics there is, so you have to be careful with it when you wash it, don't you?

You know, I KNEW that.  I really did.  Didn't stop me from throwing it in the washing machine and putting it on a mid-wash.  When it came out it might just have been big enough to fit a gnome.

Ok, so I can't wear it as a jumper any more, but is there anything I COULD do with I?




Yes!  Make a hat!

I used the rib at the bottom of the jumper for the base of the hat (no hemming required!) and then shaped the top of the hat and sewed it together.

As a final flourish I decided to add a 'felted' flower decoration and a little bit of sparkle.




I was a bit miffed that I couldn't wear the jumper, but the resulting hat has me smiling every time I see/touch/wear it!

Next...




5 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! I like your flower on the hat. It's a good size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! Love the big flower. Also love that you were able to find a solution to your shrunken shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely love this ! Thank you, sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I knew you did this - I have had two 'washing accidents' with my favourite woolly jumpers and had to donate to the gnomes!
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Selena!
    This Post i SO inspiring!!!
    LOVE the hat you made!!! And the flower gives it an extra touch! It looks so classy! Looks live a 1920's hat!!! Gorgeous!
    Kisses from Portugal!

    ReplyDelete