Friday 9 November 2012

The evolution of a backpack

I've taken up cycling - I love the feeling of freedom with the wind in my hair...

But I wanted to be able to wear a t-shirt and trackie bottoms and also carry my phone/keys/spanner/anything else I might need with me.  The little pocket that I added to my trackies wasn't up to the job.  So another solution was in order...

I spotted a redundant backpack in my wardrobe.  But it was a bit, um, plain. 

Ever conscious of safety (well, ok, sometimes!) I thought it might be a good idea to add some reflective material to the backpack so that at least I would be visible in the gloomy autumnal mornings.

Then I remembered that I had a school jacket of my daughter's that no longer fit - and that had little reflectors on it.  So I cut them off and added them to the backpack.


As it looked like a face, I scoured my oddments box and came across some of the wool that I had felted and cut that up to add to the picture a little.

Before I decided on the final placing for the felt I had a play to see what would look best.

Eyebrows and pupils?  It didn't feel quite right.


So how about a moustache and pupils?  It is Movember after all.

Nope.  That didn't feel quite right either.


So the moustache went and I moved the pupils.  It was starting to feel right.

Maybe catlike?


So I added whiskers...


But they were a bit on the long side so I gave them a trim.


At last - I was happy!

This is what it looked like after my first excursion through the muddy lanes.



But people could still see me!

Next...




No comments:

Post a Comment