Wednesday 17 October 2012

Yeah! I made it myself

I used to think that sewing was stuffy and could only be done by following patterns.

I didn't realise that it was a form of self-expression and that you could make things to suit the eventuality - you want to make longer sleeves?  Go ahead!  The dress is too long?  Well, just make it into a skirt then!

There is a whole world of fabric possibility out there.

When I bought my first skirt for a sewing project last year, I could *see* its potential.  So I made a bag from it.  Why should such beautiful fabric be left in a charity shop just because it doesn't fit? 

So when I discovered this fabulous book in the library sometime last year, I pretty much made it my own.  I returned it every so often - but I must have taken it out again about 17 times.

Eithne Farry has such a laid back approach to sewing - there are no rules, just potential.  You want to make a dress from a pair of curtains?  Go ahead!  It will be beautifully unique.


Several weeks ago I was drawn to go into the library again even though I wasn't looking for anything in particular.  They had a sale table.  And this book was on it.  Having had it in my house for months already, I recognised it straight away.  And now it lives with me :)

Thanks Eithne!


No comments:

Post a Comment