Wednesday 10 October 2012

Tips on how to sew oilcloth

I went into a fabric shop the other day on the hunt for more oilcloth.  I didn't manage to find any but I did come away with some fabulous faux fur, clear PVC and a plethora of zips!

While I was there I put some fabric down on the counter top and wandered off.  A customer shouted across the shop to ask if she could have a look at how I had put a zip into some oilcloth (I had cut it out of the bag I was making - it hadn't worked as well as I'd planned)

There began a chat about oilcloth and how to handle it.  Here are a few tips if you are planning on playing with oilcloth (and it really is easy peasy if you know how!):

* Use a non-stick teflon foot as normal feet tend to stick to the oilcloth

* Use large stitches and make sure you are sewing in the right direction first - sewing makes holes which don't recover

* Don't pin the oilcloth - use special clips instead (or garden pegs!)


* Go slowly

* Be patient

* It doesn't need to be hemmed

* I like to cover inner seams with bias binding or cotton tape however you could just as easily make French seams

And that's it really.  If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

I even told this lady that I got my oilcloth from Dotty Brown.  She was very grateful!

Next...


No comments:

Post a Comment