Monday 24 September 2012

All you ever needed to know about duvet covers

Because I have a lovely friend who knows that I enjoy using preloved fabric, she gave me a beautiful pink embroidered double duvet cover.

I have had it sitting in my airing cupboard for a while now so I brought it out to see if I could get some inspiration.  Looking at something generally helps rather than keeping it hidden away LOL!

But before I had a chance to think about it, my daughter said - oh, I LOVE that mum, can I use it?

What could I say?

So I asked her to measure how wide her single duvet cover was and I set about making a cover.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy, right?  Cut down two thirds of the cover, sew it up - done.

And then I used some of the remaining duvet to make a pillow case.  I looked at a pillow case I already had, used the existing hem and made that too.  It's funny, I didn't know how to make a pillow case with a fold over top before.  But I do now!




So last night my daughter put the pillow case on while I did the duvet cover.

It fit really well, no problems whatsoever, nope, none, until I got round to shaking it out and found a surplus of about a foot left at the top of the cover.

How the heck did that happen??

And then it dawned on me.

It would appear that single duvets are shorter than double duvets  LOL!




So I'll lop off the top of the duvet hopefully avoiding the embroidery and my daughter will be able to sleep without an excess of duvet cover tonight!

The things you learn when you are sewing!!


No comments:

Post a Comment