Thursday 5 July 2012

Celtic dress bag

So I find some fabric.  But it's not just any old fabric.  It's a dress with the most wonderful celtic pattern on it. 

I had no clue what to do with it at the time but I knew that it would come in handy at some point - how could I leave something as pretty as this in the charity shop?




The bottom of the dress was almost Aline which meant that there was more useable fabric available.

But what to do with it...



When my friend asked for a bag for her big birthday I just *knew* that she would love something made from the dress.  The celtic pattern is so her.

So I cut off the bottom of the dress below the band and turned it upside down making a perfect bag shape!



Then I interfaced the ties and used them as straps.  Thankfully they were quite long anyway.



As I was playing with the sleeves that I had cut off the dress I had an idea.  What if I squished them, added homemade bias binding and turned it into a pocket?

Well, that seemed to work!!



 The base was made from more dress and the bag was padded throughout to give it extra body.




With the addition of a label it was all ready to go... but would my friend like it??


Well, I gave it to her today and she seemed really quite happy with it.

That makes two of us!




2 comments:

  1. Dear Selena,
    You certainly have done it again - this is just sooooo good !
    Another reason why I love following you is the fact that we have a shared commitment to recycling and upcycling.
    The uncanny thing is that I looked at a jersey dress in Oxfam on Tuesday - not as special in the pattern as this. Will now go back and see if it's still there. You inspired me with this !
    Would love to know how I could show you a photo !?
    Best creative wishes,
    Kiki x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fabulous refashion!!! Love how you made a pocket from the sleeves...

    ReplyDelete